Tuesday, September 21, 2010

In Honor of Fall

Okay, I definitely need to get better at this blogging business.  With a baby at home, keeping up with the housework, practicing my cooking skills and catching the ever-important zzz's - I have slacked on my promise to myself of blogging.  But in honor of the wonderful fall-like weather we have been having, I decided it was time for a new recipe post (I will eventually post without including a recipe but I figure it gives readers an added plus - even if it is just my mom reading, hi mom!) So, in honor of fall I have included a recipe that will no doubt remind you of the holiday season that is fast approaching.
Let me start with the fact that I love the fall and winter seasons.  I love them! Some of my favorite things happen during fall and winter...family get togethers, fall fashions, I get to see good friends and eat even better food, and shopping...oh the shopping! My mom and I always contribute our share to Black Friday.  It's a tradition in the making that on Thanksgiving night we look at the ads and map out a game plan for shopping the next day.  Then there's Christmas - full of traditions...even down to what we eat, including my grandmother's pies which I have taken over making (a family recipe that will not be given out over this blog).

Traditions are so much a part of the holidays and essentially a part of who I am.

Some of my baby's fall looks. oh the sweater vest! 
 For these reasons, my hubby decided to propose to me on Christmas day five years ago, making the holidays even more special for me.
 I'm so looking forward to this year's holidays since it will be the first time that my baby boy can experience all these traditions.  While he may not remember this special time in his life, you better believe my family and I will! And, he will have so many pictures to look back on and know how special he is.

His cutesy overalls...he is going to look TOO cute in these!

I mentioned the fall fashions as being a part of why I love this season.  My favorite item usually is a scarf! An outfit can never go wrong with a scarf thrown around it! However as much as I love the trendy looks during this season for grown ups, I recently discovered how adorable my baby looks in winter clothes. Oh my goodness...one more reason to love fall and winter!


Let's face it...he looks cute in anything!
Now, I am fully aware that it is supposed to warm up over the weekend (I am not too thrilled about this since I am totally ready to wear a scarf), but in my house fall has begun and in honor of the cooler weather these next couple of days...I will be baking things to remind me that my favorite time of year is just around the corner. The first recipe is for Apple Scones (taken from the Rachael Ray website - a great place for yummy recipes) and I'm sure that something pumpkinny will soon come out of my kitchen, if only for the sweet smell of fall.

Apple Scones
Ingredients:
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon half and half (I do not usually keep half and half in my fridge so I actually used whole milk and they came out fine)
1 large egg
1 1/2 cup flour (I, again, substituted whole wheat pastry flour for a heartier scone)
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick (4 ounces) butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 apple, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
and I added 2 teaspoons cinnamon (I tried the recipe without and it was a little dull, the cinnamon kicks it up a notch plus gives it the fall feeling I've been talking about)
Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees (I actually had to do 400, for some reason my oven overcooked them at 450).  In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup half and half and the egg.

2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Blend in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Add the oats and apple and toss.  Stir in the liquid mixture until the dough just forms a ball.
3. Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface.  Pat into a 7 inch round; cut into 8 wedges.  Transfer to a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet (I did not have parchment paper so I simply greased it) and brush the tops with the remaining 1 tablespoon of half and half. I added some sugar on the tops as well for a sweeter taste. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes (for me it was 15 min.).  Transfer to a rack and cool.
4. Enjoy the scones with some coffee/tea and look forward to cooler weather! :)

Yum! :)


 
For my next post...

My cooking is definitely a work-in-progress, so I think I will post some pictures of my latest adventures in preparing actual meals (not just baked goods, although they are a favorite!).

No comments:

Post a Comment