Thursday, September 2, 2010

Intentional Domestic Diva - Recipe Included

I have never been, what I would consider, domestic. I try to cook, but I dislike the cleaning up part so much that I don't cook that often - at least I haven't for the past four years that I have been married.

In my mind, a domestic diva would include making healthy and still yummy meals and desserts, cleaning the house (at least to look presentable on any given day) and of course the occasional pedicure to make sure that my feet look just as fabulous as my house looks and smells! :)

In order to become stay-at-home mom of the year (believe me, I know there is tough competition out there!), I need to be intentional about things.  I need to intentionally make a schedule for myself and I need to be open to new ideas - the latter much easier for me than the first.  I want my little man to think back on his home when he is a grown man and remember the simple things like the smell of yummy cookies baking or the fact that our home was always ready for visitors.  In order to have these memories instilled into my son's mind, I must be intentional about being a homemaker.  The Bible says that whatever you do, you must do for the Lord...since what I do now is homemaking, I will intentionally take pride in that and do these tasks for the Lord and for my family.

On a lighter note...
I have been working on the cooking aspect of this move into domestic diva-hood (I possibly just made that word up) and today's quest was "Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies".  Now, before I share with you this yummy recipe, I must share a bit of info about myself....I rarely follow the recipes as to how they are written.  I know that tried and true cooks have created these recipes for a reason, but I tend to substitute with what I have on hand or with what I think might taste better (keeping in mind that my credential is in teaching, certainly not in cooking). However, I had great success today with my substitutions. Here is the original recipe in case anyone wants to try it (I also included my version if you feel adventurous).

"Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies"
1/2 poung (2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (here is where I started on my own cooking route with whole-wheat pastry flour for a healthier and heartier twist)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
3 cups Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 cup raisins (since my hubby is not a big fan of raisins, I substituted craisins which was a good call, if I do say so myself)

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Beat together margarine and sugars until creamy.
3. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
4. Add combined flour, baking soda, sinnamon and salt; mix well.
5. Stir in oats and raisins (or craisins); mix well.
6. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack.
Makes about 4 dozen

A Work in Progress
The Finished Product


















Oh! And the men that have inspired this domestic diva?




1 comment:

  1. Nice post! That last picture is so adorable! :) I'm going to have to try out those cookies sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete